A total of 33 Marion High School band members earned a position in the ASBOA Region IV Honor Band Auditions Saturday in Cabot. In addition, 13 members qualified for All-State Auditions on February 4 at the University of Central Arkansas.
Along with the 66 Marion Junior High band members that earned All-Region honors in December, a total of 99 Marion band members have earned All-Region status on the year. This easily surpasses the 71 Marion students who qualified for All-Region last school year. These students will be rehearsing and performing with the All-Region Band January 20 and 21 in Searcy.
“I am incredibly proud of the work our students put in in preparation for the All-Region auditions,” said Monty Hill, Marion director of bands. “Our students take their individual preparation very seriously. They understand that potential band scholarships are on the line and that college band directors take notice of All-Region musicians. The harder we work as individuals, the better it makes the entire band.”
The All-Region qualifiers include:
- Noah Sheals, tenor saxophone, 1st chair
- Will Zheng, trombone, 4th chair
- Teneal Adams, tuba, 4th chair
- Carrie Jones, tuba, 6th chair
- Miller Owen, trumpet, 3rd chair
- Trevor Johnston, trumpet, 9th chair
- Ariel Ross, alto saxophone, 4th chair
- Kaden Littlejohn, alto saxophone, 5th chair
- Damien Nicks, alto saxophone, 6th chair
- Jolie Roberts, flute, 7th chair
- Porsha Wheeler, bass clarinet, 4th chair
- Chris Partain, percussion, 3rd chair
- Ashlon Walker, percussion, 6th chair
- Elena Caballero, clarinet, 18th chair
- Myles Jones, euphonium, 6th chair
- Kathryn Hood, tuba, 3rd chair
- Atticus Lanier, trumpet, 3rd chair
- Travius Callicutt, 12th chair
- Erick Perez, horn, 1st chair
- Billy Zheng, horn, 2nd chair
- Thomas Taylor, horn, 6th chair
- Peyton Johnson, flute, 1st chair
- Kaelynn Wright, flute, 6th chair
- Peyton Bateman, flute, 11th chair
- Jonathan Nelson, percussion, 2nd chair
- Ethan Schmidt, percussion 11th chair
- Kaitlynn Wright, clarinet, 1st chair
- Jazmine Roberts, clarinet, 4th chair
- Gabby Livingston, clarinet, 5th chair
- Damien Vance, trombone, alternate
- Patrick Bingham, percussion, alternate
- Nick Anthony, percussion, alternate
- Shakyla Lewis, clarinet, alternate
All-State qualifiers were Sheals, Will Zheng, Adams, Jones, Owen, Johnston, Ross, Littlejohn, Nicks, Roberts, Wheeler, Partain, and Walker.
Of the 12 schools in Region IV, only Cabot had more All-Region qualifiers than Marion. Other schools participating in the event included West Memphis, Searcy, Riverview, Lonoke, Bald Knob, Beebe, Stuttgart, McCrory, Wynne, and Harding Academy.
The Marion School District is an innovative and growing district committed to helping every student find their unique path to success in school and in life. With more than 150 years of experience serving families in Crittenden County, the district offers a high school, a junior high, and three award-winning magnet schools. For enrollment information, including information on school choice, visit https://www.msd3.org/ or call 870-739-5100.